There are many ways that the addition of a new language can enrich your life. Here are just some of them:
- Travel – make your holiday a more enjoyable experience and get to know the locals. Take the stress out of travelling by feeling more comfortable in your chosen country. People really appreciate tourists making an effort to learn their language and are usually much friendlier if you do.
- Job – having a language on your CV can make you more attractive to employers. In today’s competitive job market, it’s essential that your resume stands out from the rest.
- Cognitive skills – improve your brain power by learning a language. Many studies have shown a variety of benefits of studying languages. These include better memory, improved multi-tasking and even delaying dementia!
- Meet new friends – language classes are a mix of individuals from different backgrounds and interests. Get out of your social rut and meet a variety of people that you probably wouldn’t usually have the chance to interact with.
- Learn about new cultures – language is a huge part of each country’s culture. Learn more about people by learning their mother tongue.
- Appreciate foreign music and film – there is a whole world of entertainment that opens up when you can speak another language. There is nothing worse than watching a film with subtitles or with dubbed voices. With even a basic understanding of the language, you are free to enjoy the film as it was meant to be.
- Impress your friends – show off a bit in foreign restaurants by pronouncing the dishes on the menu correctly.
- Work in a foreign country – knowing another language will help you get a dream job abroad. Working abroad is an amazing experience.
- Improve your first language – by learning another language, most students find that they become more aware of their own. It has also been shown that people actually improve their native language as a result.
- Feel a sense of achievement – Learning doesn’t have to stop when you leave school. People of all ages learn new languages and experience the feeling of accomplishment that speaking another language gives you.
The BBC website has lots of information on different languages and which ones would be right for you. Have a look around and see which one is going to improve your life.
- What is it? In this part of the Use of English ...
- FCE Academy – http://fceacademy.com/ The ...
- I’ve taught several FCE and CAE classes a...
- My last blog focused on the last three sections...
- Live Language is pleased to announce Children...