Academic English Course
Included in this course
- 22.5 hours English class
- 2.5 hours self-study
- Placement test on your first day
- Student tutorials every 3 weeks
- Academic Support tutor appointments available
- Free Wi-Fi
- Live Language Certificate of Attendance, showing final level and study dates
- Use of the course book
- Free Culture Club to learn about UK customs and values
£189 - £290 / week
Academic English Courses Glasgow
The course is designed for students who are preparing for pre-sessional or direct study in UK universities at undergraduate or postgraduate level. The Academic English Course will help you understand the kind of language which will be used in lectures and in an academic context. We will focus on improving your reading, writing, listening and speaking skills throughout this course.
You can read the full course outline here. The Academic English course has 3 components: 1. General English (15 hours per week)
- Focuses on developing your language for everyday purposes
- Each lesson will allow students to practise and improve their speaking, listening, writing and reading skills
- Grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation are also developed
- Academic-focused extension
- Basis for further study at a British institution of higher learning
- Practise common study tasks such as presentations, essay writing and note-taking
- Is a series of independent learning tasks with support from your teachers
- It is designed to bridge the gap between language study and undergraduate or postgraduate study
- Our library and study centre are available to support you for this element of your course
Our Academic English course is designed to help you bridge the gap between General English and university study. Weekly tests and 3-weekly tutorials mean that you can keep track of your progress. One of the biggest benefits is being able to settle into Glasgow before you start your university study. Learn English in Live Language and feel part of a family, even when you’re far from home.
Immerse yourself in English in your time with us. We pride ourselves in giving you as many opportunities as possible to learn English.
- Visit our Academic Support Tutor. Kenny is there to help you with any aspect of your English.
- The Social Programme is the ideal opportunity to make friends from other countries and see our beautiful city.
- Follow us on Facebook – you can keep up to date with all of our events and news.
- Try some Skype lessons before you arrive in Glasgow. It’s a great way to meet your teachers and build confidence before you get here.
- Chat with our team – the staff in Reception and the café are friendly and always interested in meeting new people.
- Do a language exchange with one of our Scottish students. We also teach a lot of Foreign Languages – everything from Spanish to Norwegian. Jose is on hand to help you arrange everything.
|Timetable||Monday to Friday
Mornings (9.00am to 2.30pm)
|Lessons||22.5 hours per week|
|Guided Self-Access Module||2.5 hours per week|
|Start dates||Any Monday|
|Course length||1-48 weeks|
|Max class size||In busy times, the maximum class size is 14, but is usually 12|
|Levels||Beginner to Advanced|
|Minimum number*||4 students|
|Non-teaching days in 2018/2019||-Christmas: 22 December - 6 January 2019 (School reopens on 7th January 2019)
-Easter: Friday 19 April and Monday 22nd April
-Monday 6 May
-Monday 27 May
-Monday 30 September
-Christmas: 21 December - 5 January 2020 (School reopens on 6th January 2020)
Please read the Live Language Terms and Conditions before booking your course.
|Price per week if paid in advance||£209||£189|
|Price per week If paid after the start of the course||£290||£290|
Discounted rates are given for payments in advance. Courses not paid in advance will be charged at the weekly rate.
Add on to your course:
- English Club (https://live-language.com/english-club/)
- Skype lessons (https://live-language.com/skype-lessons/)
- One-to-One meetings with our Academic Support Tutor (FREE)
- Globaliveation (Language Exchange and volunteering) (FREE)
- Fun and varied Social Programme (free museum visits and walking tours, entry fees to other activities are extra)