How to Use an Online Dictionary
To learn English vocabulary and pronunciation as quickly as possible, you can use an online dictionary. You can find out new words and more information about words you have learned with your teacher in your live online lesson.
Five top tips for getting the most out of your online dictionary. There are many dictionaries available online, such as Cambridge, MacMillan and Collins Dictionaries. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your English online dictionary.
- Find the word you are looking for and write it in your vocabulary notebook (check your spelling).
- Write the part of speech in your notebook – for example, noun, verb, adjective, adverb.
- Click the icon to listen to the pronunciation and practise saying the word to yourself. This really helps you achieve good pronunciation quickly.
- Read its definition and write this, in your own words, next to your word in your vocabulary book. If a picture helps you to remember the word – draw it! It’s your vocabulary book! You could also find out if there are any synonyms or antonyms (words with similar or opposite meanings).
- Use the example sentences in the dictionary to help you understand how to use it in a sentence and then try to use the word in your own sentences to help you remember it.
Bonus tip – some dictionaries give you related words (word families). Write these down too! This will help you build up your vocabulary quicker! This is an excellent way to learn more English free online!!
Every post, in your inbox.
No spam, ever. Promise.