Police, Doctor and Council tax

Police, Doctor and Council tax

Registering with the Police

Some non-EEA students must register with the Police within 7 days of arriving in the UK. For more information on registering with the police, please see this link.

Registering with a Doctor and Dentist

To make your time in Glasgow more comfortable, and in case of any problems, you should register with a Doctor and Dentist when you arrive. The school can give you a letter to confirm that you are a student at the school.

Emergency healthcare is free. You can visit the emergency department which most hospitals have, or call NHS 24 on 08454 242424 who can give advice by telephone if you are feeling unwell. In the case of emergencies, the nearest Accident and Emergency Hospital to the school is the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.

Council Tax

Council Tax is payable to local councils as a contribution to cost of the services that they provide. The Council Tax bill for a house depends on its value and the number of adults living there.

Most people in the UK must pay council tax. If you are a full-time student enrolled on a course of at least 27 weeks (min 21 hours per week), then you do not have to pay council tax.

For more information on how to claim the council tax exemption, speak to Reception.

Student discounts

To take advantage of some great student discounts, and save some money, you should apply for an International Student Identity Card. For more information, please see Reception.