Scotland is the third best place to visit in 2014
Lonely Planet has unveiled its list of best countries to visit in 2014 and Scotland came third, after Brazil and Antarctica. The guide said Scotland will “jam-packed schedule of world-class events” in 2014.
But let’s have a look at what to expect if you head to Scotland next year:
- The XX Commonwealth Games will be hosted by Glasgow. It will attract some of the world’s top athletes, and keep us all on the edge of our seats.
- Year of Homecoming: A government programme to welcome home the Scottish diaspora and to celebrate Scottish culture, food and drink.
- Highland Games: All around Scotland, all summer
- Edinburgh Festival is one of the largest arts festival in the world. It will be held on 1-25 August.
- The Ryder Cup is a biennial men’s golf competition between teams from Europe and the United States. People can cheer for their team in Gleneagles next September.
According to Lonely Planet, Glasgow “never looked so good” and Edinburgh is “the most gothic city outside Transylvania”. So both cities are well worth a visit.