Thank you for choosing to study at Live Language. We hope that you will learn a lot from your studies here, and that you will enjoy coming to English classes. Please take a few minutes to read the basic terms and conditions of study here.
You must agree to the Terms & Conditions before a booking can be accepted.
- Monday 9:00 – 5.00 pm
- Tuesday 9:00 – 6.00 pm
- Wednesday 9:00 – 6.00pm
- Thursday 9:00 – 6.00 pm
- Friday 9:00 – 5:00 pm
By using the services provided by Live Language, you agree, without limitation or qualification, to be bound by, and to comply with, these Terms & Conditions.
School Holidays in 2024
Live Language is not open on Saturdays or Sundays or on these UK public holidays.
- Christmas: 23rd December – 7th January 2024 (School reopens on 8th January 2024)
- New Year: Until 8th January 2024
- Easter: Friday 29th March and Monday 1st April
- Monday 6th May
- Monday 27th May
- Monday 30th September
- Christmas: 21st December – 5th January (school re-opens 6th January 2025)
You cannot get a refund for these days.
Booking a course
You must pay the total fees for your course at least 4 weeks in advance before the start of your course or the time of booking where the period between the date you book and the start of your course is less than 4 weeks. If you fail to do this, your booking will be cancelled or charged at the highest rate.
Discounted rates are given for longer courses. To receive any discount, course fees must be paid by the start of your course. If the course is curtailed for any reason, you will be re-invoiced at the higher rate.?
A non-refundable registration fee is charged the first time you book a Live Language course. This fee is not charged when you book your course again.
Registration fees are non-refundable. However, if we are unable to offer you a place on a course, we will refund any fees you have paid including the deposit and registration fee, less bank charges.
Fees are paid in Sterling (GBP) at the time of payment.
Please add £20 to your total fees to cover bank charges if you pay by international bank transfer.
Sponsored students must complete the period in their Financial Guarantee.
Sponsored students without a Financial Guarantee are responsible for all fees.
A non-refundable arrangement fee is charged every time you book or extend your accommodation booking. When we receive the fee Live Language will start to check the availability. Live Language will not start booking your accommodation unless the fee is paid.
To accept our offer of accommodation, you must pay for your full stay or at least 2 weeks of accommodation. Without this payment accommodation booking will not be confirmed.
Please remember that we need at least 2 weeks to arrange the accommodation.
You must pay the total fees for your accommodation at least 4 weeks in advance before the start of your course or the time of booking where the period between the date you book and your arriving date is less than 4 weeks. If you fail to do this, your booking will be shortened to the number of weeks you have paid.
Homestay accommodation start on the Sunday before your course starts and finish the Saturday after your course ends (unless previously arranged and agreed to by Live Language).
You must vacate your bedrooms by 12pm.
You must pay for any damage you cause to your accommodation.
Changing your booking before the start of the course:
You must inform Live Language in writing if you change your booking before your course starts. If you fail to do this you will be charged to the week you inform Live Language.
Changing details of your booking will result in a £25 changing fee charge.
Sponsored students must complete the study period in their Financial Guarantee.
Cancelling your booking before the start of the course:
More than two weeks’ notice – All tuition, accommodation and transfer will be refunded. *
Less than two weeks’ notice – Two weeks’ fee will be retained by Live Language and other fees will be refunded. *
* Registration fee and accommodation arrangement fee are non-refundable.
Private and Semi-Private Lessons
Cancellation or postponement of private or semi-private lessons must be made in writing and within office hours at least 24 hours in advance of the lesson start time. The booked lesson fee will be charged if Live Language is not given this notice.
- Private lesson = 1 teacher, 1 student
- Semi-Private lesson = 1 teacher, 2-3 students
A good student insurance policy will refund the remaining fees if you have to go home early for a medical or other serious reason. We strongly advise all students to take out insurance.
Fees will not be refunded or credit will not be offered once the course has started, except in the case of visa refusal.
If a visa application is rejected and we receive written evidence at least 14 days prior to arrival, we will refund the fees received in full, less an administrative fee of £50. Where we receive this evidence, the refund will be paid to you within four weeks of your providing us with bank details and signed authorisation that the refund should be paid to that account. If written evidence of a refusal is received less than 14 days prior to arrival then the refund will be paid less the administrative fee and the following non-refundable payments: Tuition fees – 1 week.
Fees will also be refunded if we cannot offer a place on the course. In that case, all fees will be returned including Registration Fee.
Course fees are not transferrable.
Deposits are not refunded until Live Language receive the payment from your sponsor.
Courses are undertaken at your own risk. Live Language cannot be held liable for damage or accident to your persons or property. You are recommended to take out personal insurance before departure to cover yourself for this and if you unexpectedly finish your course early.
When you register at Live Language you will be given a Letter of Acceptance or Student Confirmation with a starting date and time. This starting date cannot be changed without express permission from Live Language. In the case of visa delay, the proposed course cannot be guaranteed after the agreed starting date and student will need a new Letter of Acceptance.
If you miss the staring date without communication with Live Language, you will need a fresh application for your new starting date and a new Letter of Acceptance.
You must book your course before you start the class. If you do not tell us that you will start a class, and come to the school without telling us first, you cannot start the class that day.
Live Language has the right to cancel any class which has not met the minimal class number criteria.
The first day of your course will consist of a language test and speaking interview – the normal number of hours will not be taught due to this.
In busy times, the maximum class size is 14 but is usually 12. The minimum class size is 5 students.
All courses should be completed within the agreed and specified time.
If you want to change class, for whatever reason, you should speak to your teacher or make an appointment with the School Manager. The final decision to move a student to a new level lies with the School Manager.
Shortening the course
You must inform Live Language in writing if you shorten your booking at least 2 weeks before your leaving date. Live Language is not able to prepare your leaving report or certificate without this notice. Your official leaving date will be 2 weeks on Friday from the date you write to us. There is no refund if you shorten your course.
Student absence, for whatever reason, will not be rewarded by any course extension or refund. The Live Language Attendance Certificate will not be awarded in case of repeated absenteeism. If you are absent for more than 3 days, you must provide a doctor’s certificate or a written statement to explain the reason why you have been absent. If your attendance drops below 80% you will be asked to attend a meeting with the School Manager and you may be asked to leave your course.
If you study more than 12 weeks on a full-time course and want to take a holiday during your course, let reception staff know at least 2 weeks before the start of the holiday. If you are sponsored, you must get permission from your supervisor. Holidays are from Monday to Friday (5 days) and not individual days. The course fees will not be refunded but the weeks missed will be added to your course.
Attending the course
Materials and Examination fees
Course materials, examination fees, and the cost of activities and excursions are not included except where specifically stated. The company will not refund any money to a client who applies for a course requiring a specific level and is then found to be unable to join the course after the initial level test. In this case, the client will be offered a suitable alternative by the school and any difference in price (if the alternative course less expensive) will be refunded by Live Language.
Activities and Excursions
The costs of excursions are not included in the English course fee, some typical costs for the Social Programme activities are indicated below:
• Arran island trip £35
• Loch Ness trip £50
• Edinburgh trip £16
• Ceilidh night £12
• Bowling night £12
Length of Contract
All courses should be completed within the agreed and specified time.
Sponsored students must complete the study period in their Financial Guarantee.
Obligation of communication
You must inform Live Language if there are any changes to your schedule at least 2 weeks in advance.
If you miss the starting date without any communication with Live Language, you will be charged your course fee from the scheduled starting date. This also applies to visa refusal cases.
You have to tell us if you change any of your contact details.
All students are expected to behave with responsible attitudes and treat fellow staff, school property or fellow students with respect.
We expect students to behave appropriately at all times (including when online or using any form of messaging or social media) towards other students and school staff and to respect cultural, racial and religious differences. We expect all students to uphold the core British values of democracy, individual liberty, tolerance, and the rule of law.
Live Language is committed to safeguarding and promoting the wellbeing of children and young people and expects all students to do the same.
Ignoring school guidelines may result in expulsion without a refund of course fees.
Conditions and Procedures of Expulsion from Live Language
A student may be expelled at any time, without refund, if the School Manager is reasonably satisfied that the student’s conduct (whether on or off the premises or in or out of term time) has been prejudicial to good order or school discipline or to the reputation of the school. The School Manager will act fairly and in accordance with the procedures of natural justice and will not expel a student other than in grave circumstances. The deposit will not be refunded in the case of expulsion. The decision to request the removal of a student and the manner and form of any announcement shall be at the sole discretion of the School Manager. A student who has been excluded, suspended or removed from the School for any reason shall not be re-admitted without permission from the School Manager. In the event of expulsion or of a students’ removal from the School the student has no right to enter the School premises without the written permission of the School Manager.
Complaints Procedure for students
We want to:
• Give you our best possible customer service
• Find the best way to help you quickly, confidentially and in a positive way
• Understand everything correctly, tell you what is happening and what we do to help you
• Be equal and fair with everyone, both students and Live Language staff
• Deal with any complaints according to the law, British Council requirements and Live Language’s policies
• Resolve any complaints within 14 days of the complaint first being raised with us
1. If you are not happy about a person who works in the school, a school service or a school facility, please ask anyone at reception for help.
2. We will then give you an appointment to discuss your problem. We will try to help you informally first. We can usually solve problems quickly and informally.
3. If the problem is serious or if you want to make a formal complaint, we will ask you to give us your complaint in writing.
4. We will tell you what we are going to do.
5. After we have looked at the complaint and tried to solve the problem, we will meet with you and discuss what we have done. We will give you a written report. We hope you will be happy with the result at this point.
6. If you are still not satisfied, we will try again to help you by reviewing our staff, services or facilities. Then we will meet you again and tell you what we have done, and give you a final report.
7. If you are still not satisfied but we have done everything possible to help, we will tell you in writing how you can make a complaint outside the school.
Please note that we do not accept complaints received after the student has returned to their own country.
You may use the computers provided by Live Language for your own use. Inappropriate use of the Live Language computers may result in you being asked to leave the school without a refund of course fees.
Links to third party sites
Any other web sites that are accessible via any link on this site are not under the control of Live Language. Live Language is not responsible for the contents of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site, or any changes or updates to the information contained in such sites. Live Language provides the linked sites to you only as a convenience and the inclusions of any such link on the Site does not imply Live Language’s endorsement of the site, the organisation operating such site, nor any products or services of that organisation. Linking to any off-site pages or other sites is entirely at your own risk.
Live Language is committed to preserving the privacy of all visitors to its website.
What does Live Language use this information for
- We use the information we collect about you to enable us to contact you where necessary. For instance, if you have requested information regarding the services that we provide.
- We may email you regarding your current course such as dates, changes in your class, cancellations, activities related to it, next term course information, requested feedback, classroom changes and payment.
- We also use and analyse the information we collect and feedback so that we can administer, support, improve and develop our business. In particular, we may use your information to contact you for your views on our services and to notify you occasionally about important changes or developments to the website or our services if you have provided consent.
- If you have consented, we might also use your information to let you know about other products and services which we offer which may be of interest to you.
- If you change your mind about being contacted in the future, please let us know by emailing [email protected] or writing to Marketing, Live Language, 9 Somerset Place, Glasgow, G3 7JT, Scotland, UK or calling us on : +44(0) 141 221 0793
Disclosure of your information
- Live Language requires to process data about students in order to carry out normal administration and for tax purposes. When you register with Live Language you will be giving us permission to process data about you.
- If your fees are paid by a third party, such as a parent, spouse, employer or government, Live Language may be required to supply these parties with information regarding level, progress and attendance.
- Live Language will not share, sell or rent your information to any other third party.
- Live Language may contact you regarding payments.
How long will we store your information?
- Live Language will keep your general data for two years from when you have finished your course for administrative purposes.
- For tax purposes your transaction number and your name only will be kept for 6 years.
Updating and correcting or deleting your information
- If you change address or if any of the other information that we hold about you is inaccurate or out of date, please let us know by emailing us at [email protected] or writing to Marketing Live Language, 9 Somerset Place, Glasgow, G3 7JT, Scotland, UK or calling us on +44(0) 141 221 0793 with the correct details.
- If you no longer wish to receive correspondence from us, please contact us at the address above or the given telephone number to inform us of this and we will remove your details from our records.
Live Language will terminate the performance of its obligations when certain circumstances beyond their control arise, making performance inadvisable, commercially impracticable, illegal, or impossible.
Events include adverse weather warnings, war, riots, fire, flood, hurricane, typhoon, earthquake, lightning, explosion, strikes, lockouts, slowdowns, prolonged shortage of energy supplies, and acts of state or governmental action prohibiting or impeding any party from performing its respective obligations under the contract.